The GVU Center works closely with some of the world's most innovative companies to explore, develop, and deliver technical innovation that can impact their businesses. As one of Georgia Tech's top research centers, the GVU Center is committed to conducting basic research that advances our fundamental understanding of the world, and leads to innovative interactive technology.
We have outlined the many ways that companies can connect with us. We look forward to hearing from you soon.
GVU COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH PARTNERSHIP
GVU's flagship program is the Collaborative Research Partnership. These collaborative partnerships facilitate interdisciplinary research, with scope and goals defined jointly by a company and the GVU Center. These partnerships give companies access to leading edge research and expertise to explore new domains and solve challenging problems. There are a variety of mechanisms that can be used to structure a collaborative research partnership, including research contracts, grants and donations, and via Georgia Tech's Corporate Liaison Program. Industry partners have the opportunity to license the intellectual property (IP) resulting from the partnership.
GVU Visiting Researcher Program
The GVU Visiting Researcher Program facilitates staff from your company being on-site at the GVU Center for an extended duration. The program provides your staff with deep immersion into cutting edge research, as well as benefits such as close interaction with faculty and students, access to educational programs and lab facilities, and involvement in current projects.
Sponsor a Graduate Student Fellowship
Graduate students at GVU represent some of the best and brightest young minds in the country. Many companies sponsor a graduate student (usually a doctoral student) engaged in research of strategic interest to the sponsor. By sponsoring a Graduate Student Fellowship companies gain an opportunity to engage closely with a student and help support his or her career through graduate school, creating goodwill and possible recruiting opportunities after graduation. Fellowships are named after the sponsoring company, and the sponsorship is highlighted in materials ranging from the GVU website and news releases, to research publications and talks given by the sponsored student and faculty advisor.
Sponsor a GVU Lab
The GVU Center maintains a number of specialized laboratory facilities, dedicated to use by the faculty and students of the center. Your support enables continued use and investment in these facilities, and can include naming and student recruiting opportunities. Currently GVU labs available for sponsorship include:
- Prototyping Lab. The GVU prototyping lab provides facilities to rapidly create physical devices. With equipment ranging from 3D printers to laser cutters to printed circuit board fabrication facilities. This lab is used by a large number of projects from across the center.
- The App Lab. GVU's App Lab is a “hackerspace” devoted to the creation of mobile application and technologies, across a range of platforms. Focused specifically on undergraduate students, this facility serves as a learning lab to give students experience in mobile applications development.
- Usability Lab. GVU maintains a state-of-the-art usability lab with full video and audio recording facilities, for use in controlled studies of new applications and systems.
GVU Brown Bag Series – Title and Annual Sponsor
The GVU “Brown Bag” seminar series-a 21-year institution on the Georgia Tech campus-brings together over 100 students, faculty, and researchers each week to network and to learn about the latest cutting-edge research. Featured speakers, including both local Georgia Tech experts as well as thought leaders external to the university, discuss current research trends across the breadth of GVU's portfolio, including health, gaming, media, and more. These events are also webcast live and are archived for later viewing.
Becoming a Sponsor of the GVU Brown Bag seminar series is a way to expose your company to the many students, faculty, and researchers who attend and view the series each week. Opportunities exist for sponsorship of a single Brown Bag, or multiple Brown Bags (including whole-year) sponsorship at a discounted rate.
The GVU Center maintains a Friend of GVU level of sponsorship, for companies that are supportive of the Center and its mission but not yet ready to engage in a Collaborative Research Partnership. Such sponsorship provides unrestricted gift support for the Center and its activities.
Partnership Benefits and Opportunities
Depending on the level of involvement, partners enjoy many benefits from their affiliation with the GVU Center including:
- Research partnership with one of the nation's top universities
- Collaboration with a diverse, interdisciplinary group of researchers dedicated to finding innovative solutions to real-world problems
- Access to social scientific research, which can yield insights into customer practices, needs, and desires
- Insight into new technical innovations that will shape the future of interactive technology and media
- Customized strategy to increase corporate visibility across Georgia Tech through association with the GVU Center, including recruiting opportunities to reach GVU's over 400 affiliated students
- Coordinated scheduled campus visits to facilitate personal interactions with faculty and students who are engaged in technology-driven human-centered solutions
- Enhanced visibility by having a company's name and logo listed on GVU Center website, print materials, and recognized at major GVU events
- Speaker and lecture opportunities at GVU's "Brown Bag" presentations and for student groups and classes.
- Invitation to the GVU Industry Advisory Board to help inform and shape the direction of GVU
Building valuable industry collaborations has long been a cornerstone of the GVU Center. The following are companies are currently working on a variety of interdisciplinary projects with select GVU faculty and students:
- ACT, Inc.
- Disney Studios
- Texas Instruments
- Turner Broadcasting
For more details about GVU partnership opportunities, contact:
Keith Edwards – Director, GVU Center – firstname.lastname@example.org
Vivian Chandler – Corporate Relations – email@example.com (404-385-1252)